What are blog articles?
Blog articles are written content that’s designed to entertain and inform your audience and build their loyalty/interest in your technology brand.
Most written content for your technology business falls into one of two camps:
Website pages are the building blocks of your brand’s website.
- Website pages are static/timeless.
- Your website pages should be intelligently structured to create a compelling user journey.
- Website pages tend to be discovered in search engines.
Blog articles drive traffic onto your website.
- Blog articles are time-relevant.
- Your blog usually sits on a single website page (with search and discovery tools).
- Blog articles can be discovered in search engines – but can also trend on social media.
You can also blog on external platforms like Medium and LinkedIn – although funnelling traffic back to your main website helps you control the buying journey.
Why does your technology business need blog articles?
Your technology business needs blog articles to build traffic and nurture your visitors into sales and hot leads.
Potential customers can discover your brand through blog articles that appear in search engines and on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
You can engage these visitors and build their trust and loyalty in your brand, then direct them to take action – using a landing page. 🚀
Using content like blog articles and videos to generate traffic and convert it into paying customers is called ‘content marketing’.
‘Content marketing is using digital content to solve the same problems for your audience that your products or services solve.’
A digital camera company could target photographers with helpful tips and guides to taking better photos. Although in such a competitive sector, we’d probably select an audience niche that matches their camera’s most unique/valuable features.
🍦 How do vanilla copywriters get blog articles wrong?
Search intent is at the core of effective content strategy.
Your content briefs must be laser-focused on the reasons your audience use search engines to generate relevant traffic that can be converted.
Copywriters often build blog articles around a friendly message that a technology company wants to share with their customers.
But people don’t use search engines to discover corporate messages or technical product features – so why would this content appear in their search results?
Your customers use search engines like Google to find solutions to their problems.
- Content that’s built around your audience’s problems and challenges is likely to appear in their search results – especially if it uses their language.
Search engines choose ‘high-quality’ and ‘relevant’ articles that answer their problems.
- You can therefore target customers at any point in a buying journey by creating high-quality and relevant articles for their queries.
Blog articles should be aligned to problems that your business can solve.
Quality is essential. You can’t buy folders of low-quality content with keywords optimistically stuffed-in. Search engines track metrics like your bounce-rate (how many people leave your website quickly) and punish your website for bad content.
It’s important that your blog content is high-quality, relevant and aligned to your business goals.
Importance of also justifying benefits with features for sophisticated engineer-types.
Unfortunately, many business blogs miss the mark by targeting users at the wrong stage in their buying journey. They target language, challenges and terminology known only to existing and/or advanced users – who represent a small chunk of the market and which have usually invested in a solution already.
Clickbait headlines bounce rate
That’s why it’s important to hire a writer who understands content strategy.
We discuss your brand, business model and potential customers to
- Our content strategy targets large groups of potential customers who may have no idea they even need your technology product or platform.
- Our blog articles position your business as an authority at solving your audience’s problems.
- We build trust in your brand as a valuable resource for tips, advice and ideas.
- Our content explores and overcomes potential barriers to sale.
- When your visitors are ready, we serve an appropriate CTA (call-to-action) and turn them into a customer or lead.
Popular search queries typically use simple language
, for example:
If you can research and/or anticipate their queries, then you can produce high-quality content that explores and offers solutions
- Search engines like Google score content for how effectively it seems to answer their questions.
Your brand can target potential customers by creating blog articles that offer relevant and high-quality solutions to their problems.
Your blog can build engagement and nurture these visitors into prospects by serving related content.
As your target audience builds trust in your blog and brand, they’ll start to consider buying your product or service.
We can then funnel your visitors to a landing page and convert them into customers.
Where should my technology business focus its blogging?
Your website’s blog should be the hub of your content marketing activities.
What’s the goal of your blog?
Which kind of customers is your blog targeting?
Wher in the buying journey will your blog target?
What’s your CTA (call-to-action)?
How will your blog content nurture your customer and encourage them to take-up your CTA?
Blogging can drive your sales in many ways:
- Your blog shares ‘domain authority‘ with your website – so as it increases in ranking, so does your website.
- Search engines uprank websites which have content that visitors invest time in reading.
- Intelligently-structured content will reference your website pages – so a certain percentage of visitors will discover your company’s products and services.
- When great blog content’s shared on social media it can drive sales and enquiries.
So creating high-quality and relevant content that strategically targets groups of potential customers can generate huge traffic and sales, over time.
Content strategy is what defines a blog that drives traffic and sales for technology companies.
HOW TECHNOLOGY COMPANIES GET BLOGGING WRONG – AND HOW TO FIX IT
Your technology business can use blog content to build traffic and nurture it into warm leads and sales for your business.
Content marketing is ‘solving the same problems for your audience that your solution does – but using content’.
Unfortunately, many businesses limit themselves by producing content exclusively for existing users and targeting their potential customers at the wrong stage in their buying journey.
Effective blogging and content marketing is about identifying and creating content for large groups of people who have pain-points and challenges that your product or service could solve – who know nothing about your technology or sector.
In the words of Wayne Gretzky, ‘…skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.’
Create a learning resource that offers real value to your target audience, early in their buying journey – before they even realise they need a solution.
Here are a few quick wins for technology businesses looking to upgrade their blogging:
A blog strategy that targets the lifestyle, challenges and interests of your target audience is far more effective than simply writing about your product.
Here are a few examples:
If your business offers a SaaS accountancy solution for SMEs, don’t just write articles about how great SaaS accountancy platforms are.
- Instead, offer helpful advice for SMEs to save time and money – then mention how your platform can help.
If your business sells folding bicycles, don’t just produce content explaining how excellent your bicycles are.
- Instead, write about the health benefits of cycling for wellbeing and reducing carbon emissions – they mention how your bicycles can help.
If you’ve got an task-management app that tracks how you spend time, don’t just extoll its features.
- Instead, build a blog full of productivity tips for office-workers and entrepreneurs – then mention how your app can help.
To convert your traffic into customers you need to use ‘content marketing‘ to nurture each visitor, build their trust and overcome their objections to sale.
helps increase the rank of other pages on your website
By building and sharing your content
Content marketing is solving the same problems that your product or service solves, but using content.
Like any battle-plan, your blog needs a clear goal.
A blog for a CRM platform is likely to offer advice for managing customers and sales to businesses.
If your planning stops here, then your content might be relevant and high-quality – but is unlikely to convert.
Here are a few questions to consider next:
Is your CTA a free trial, a chat with a sales agent, or jumping in and spending cash?
Setting a CTA that matches your audience, their buying behaviours and budget is critical.
If your CTA has a high price-tag (cash or conversation) then you’ll need to nurture your reader more than if you offer a video or free download.
Who are we actually writing content for?
Large organisations require a large number of stakeholders to be on-board ahead of a purchase.
Are you just reaching out to existing customers, or can you reach a whole new audience who don’t even know about your product?
All sales copywriting is about effective blog planning.
Target difdferent stags of buying journey.
Posting random blog articles and hoping they float isn’t a great strategy.
Blog articles are about setting a top-level goal.
You need a funnel.